Frequently Asked Questions

UTV Rentals in Gatlinburg TN

Frequently Asked Questions


Rental Rules
  • Must have valid driver’s license and be 18+ years for UTV/Jeep and 21+ for Slingshots/Vanderhall
  • NOT for Off-Roading
  • Children are welcome!
  • Please bring a child seat if your child requires one.
  • Dog-friendly!
Free Parking
Thank you for visiting Rocky Top Adventure Rentals! We have FREE parking for our guests. Please refer to the image for the appropriate parking areas. If you have any questions, please let us know at 865-412-1125.

How old do I need to be to operate the machine?

You need to be at least 21 years old for the Slingshots/Vanderhall and 18 years old for UTV’s and Jeeps/Bronco. Corvette is 25 years old and up. You must be able to provide proof of FULL coverage insurance upon pickup.

Do I need to have a valid driver’s license to rent?


Where can I drive the Slingshots/Vanderhall?
You can take them anywhere in the area except on interstates and certain areas that have aggressive potholes/rocky terrains (Upper Tremont as an example).
How long in advance do I have to make a reservation?

Reservations can be made at any time as long as the unit is available. You can reserve online as long as it is at least the day before you are renting. If wanting to rent the same day call us. We also welcome walk-ins!

Do you have a pet policy?
Pet Clause

We are NOT held responsible for any potential harm to your animals. Excessive hair/bathroom issues will result in a $200 cleanup fee. Any rips or tears resulting from pet damage will be assessed for a damage fee in accordance to the severity of damage. This fee refers to ALL rental units.


Customer must provide a blanket or covering that will cover the entire area the pet may be.


Small Dogs are allowed. Seat must have a covering. Animal must be tethered or held in place during the ride.


Customer must provide a blanket or covering that will cover the entire area the pet may be.

Do you have a rain policy?
Yes, you can reschedule for a later time in the event that it is raining. In the event that weather is affecting your booking, we will gladly refund your booking as long as it is 72 hours before the time of rental. Customers will receive a rain check or a gift certificate to use at a future time if booking is cancelled less than 72 hours before the time of rental.
Can I keep the vehicle overnight at my cabin if I have rented it for more than one day?
Yes. They must remain on roads 40mph or less. Please note that if your cabin rental is in an area where the streets are higher than 40mph, they are not allowed to be on the roads and can get ticketed.
Is it Tennessee state law that drivers and passengers must wear a helmet in Slingshots/Vanderhall?


Does Rocky Top provide helmets for the Slingshot/Vanderhall rentals?

Yes, we provide helmets free of charge for our customers.

Are we allowed to trailer any of your units?
No. Our units are not allowed to be put on a trailer or taken to areas where they are not allowed. Please remember UTV’s are medium speed vehicles which mandates them to roads 40mph and below.
Do I have to fill up the tank?
All units start with a full tank of PREMIUM fuel. At the end of the rental, units must be refueled with PREMIUM fuel upon return. If the customer decides not to refuel upon return, there is a fee of $50 per unit not refueled.
Primary Contract Holder Information
Primary contract holder must be with units at all times. You cannot be a primary contract holder and let the units be left to those as additional drivers. Please be advised that our insurance covers the primary contract holder and the added additional driver(s) per our contract, ALL those that sign must be with vehicles rented and be validated. Additional drivers that are not signed at the beginning of the process and validated can potentially void the insurance leading to full replacement cost of the vehicle if flipped/damaged to the extent of non-use that day.


Do I have to purchase the insurance?
Yes, the $15 insurance addendum is required. Please note that this fee allows you to be on our insurance policy. If a unit is wrecked/totaled/flipped, $2500 will be automatically pulled from your credit card/debit card. There is also a $500 a day loss of rental charge if a unit is found to be unsafe for other customer use. This loss of rental charge can accumulate depending of the availability of parts to correct the problem that occurred due to negligence. Damage is assessed on a per unit basis and will vary up the severity of the damage and the unit(s) state of use.
Will my automobile insurance cover me while renting a UTV or Slingshots/Vanderhall?
More than likely NO it will not. Some of the other companies in the   area will say your automobile insurance will cover you but this is NOT the case most of the time. Whether you rent from us or another company, please    make sure you are insured. Not only does it leave you at great financial    risk, it is illegal to drive without insurance. If you rent from us we have insurance that will cover you. If you have any questions please call us  for more information.
How much is the deductible on the insurance?
The deductible if you wreck or damage the vehicle is up to $2500. Please note that the deductible is the amount of money that the insured (customer) MUST pay before our insurance company will pay the claim. There can also be a $500 DAILY “loss of rental fee” if the unit has to be taken off the fleet.
What if the damage does not cost $2,500 and can be fixed for less than that?

You will only be charged for the amount of the damage and labor cost to fix the damage. We are an honest and ethical company and treat our customers like family.

Does the $2,500 deductible get charged to my credit/debit card or does a “hold” for that amount appear on my card?

No, this only happens in the event the vehicle is wrecked or damaged.

Do I have to have automobile insurance?
Yes, as a way of verifying our customers you must have full coverage automobile insurance and bring a copy of your automobile insurance card with you. We may also call the insurance company and verify your coverage in the store.


Do I need a debit or credit card to rent?

Yes, you must have a debit or credit card with a EMV chip to rent from Rocky Top Adventure Rentals. All debit and credit cards used in U.S. have the EMV chips cards now and we require it to prevent fraud. If you have any questions please contact our store at 812-412-1125.

Do you take checks?

We do not accept checks of any kind. Cash or credit/debit card only.

Can I cancel a reservation and receive a refund?
Customers will receive a full refund if cancellation is given 72 hours before time of rental. Customers will receive a rain check or a gift certificate to use at a future time if booking is cancelled less than 72 hours before time of rental. This rain check/gift certificate policy still stands during any unforeseen situations during the timeframe within the 72 hour time limit. Contact us by phone to cancel or inquire about a cancellation. No-shows will be charged the full price. Cancellations must be done over the phone or in-person only, social media messaging does not count toward a formal cancellation.
Rocky Top Adventure Rentals provides a great experience at an affordable price. Therefore, any discounts or promotions MUST be authorized by RTAR or they will be invalid. There are sites with promotions regarding certain percentage discounts and gift card values which have no authority from RTAR. Some examples of these sites are:,, etc. We are not held responsible for providing such promotions without authorization. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and any questions need to be directed to those sites offering such promotions.